Thursday, September 15, 2011

What's in a Name?


I was given the name Erin Leigh Quirk by my parents.  You would think that with a short name like Erin, there would be no need for nicknames, right?  Well that whole theory was WRONG.  I guess I never realized how "unique" my last name was because in high school I was no longer Erin, I was "Quirk."  My high school swim team also gave me a few nicknames.  To them I was Quirky, Quirkypoo, or Spaz.  Spaz because I tend to freak out when people poke or tickle me.  I'm very ticklish and am constantly laughing when I'm getting pedicures!  Water also comes out my nose when I bend over to get a drink from a water fountain and my friends found that to be "Spaz" worthy.  I'm sure there are many other reasons Spaz was a nickname, but probably too many to list.  Luckily, "Spaz" only stuck in high school.   

Once I went on to college, I figured I would be Erin again but I was wrong.  I was called Quirk or Quirky.  One of my bosses I worked for in college even decided to call me "Q". Then I moved to Arlington, VA.  I was out of college, trying to be a "grown-up", so I thought, no more nicknames, right?  Wrong AGAIN.  Some of my friends call me "Rein" because their BlackBerry would auto-correct Erin to Rein.  Dave calls me Rin, which my dad thinks is pretty funny.  We were at my parent's house this past Christmas and Dave, my dad and me were decorating Christmas cookies.  Dave decorated a cookie and wrote "Rin" on it and my dad was cracking up, he said, "What? Is Erin too long?"  Haha.  But Dave continues to call me Rin and his brother, Tim, likes to call me Rin Rin.  I guess you can never be too old to have a nickname!

The name I'm most excited about is the one I'm getting in LESS than 2 months, Mrs. David O'Brien. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment