Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Sweet Tea


My love of sweet tea began when I moved to Charleston, SC right before college and into college in North Carolina.  I never realized how amazing sweet tea was!  Growing up in Texas, I was never exposed to sweet tea, which is a shame.  When I moved up to Northern Virginia, I remember ordering a sweet tea at a restaurant and everyone at my table looked at me like I was crazy.  I was reminded that I was no longer in the South.  However, I have found a few places that serve sweet tea, Rocklands being my favorite up here!  So, whenever I visit Charleston, SC I make it a point to stop by McAlister's Deli and pick up some sweet tea.  Their's is my absolute FAVORITE!  I don't know what it is but it is HEAVENLY.  I don't think I've ever had a bad cup of sweet tea from there.  So, last night I decided to make a batch of sweet tea.  It's quite easy to make.

You will need:
3 quarts of water
2 cups of sugar
Enough tea bags for 3 quarts (it should say on the box)
Pinch of baking soda

1.  Bring your water to a boil

2.  Pour in your sugar and make sure it has desolved

3.  Add your tea bags and let them steep for 20 minutes (make sure your pot is covered)

4.  Add a pinch of baking soda which eliminates bitterness by reducing the taste of the tea's tannins (thanks for this tip, Lynda!)
5.  Pour over ice and you've got yourself a nice glass of sweet tea
 
Hope you enjoy this easy recipe!! :)

1 comment:

  1. So glad you enjoyed! I finished my last batch last night...need to make some more soon! Iced coffee today just didn't do it...

    ReplyDelete