Wednesday, August 24, 2011

My First Earthquake Experience

So, I grew up in Texas and experienced all sorts of crazy weather, including tornadoes.  One minute the sun was shining and the next minute the sky would be green.  Maybe living almost 15 years with this crazy weather is part of the reason I'm deathly afraid of thunderstorms.  So then I move to the east coast and experienced my first of many hurricane evacuations.  Luckily none of the hurricanes I've experienced have been that bad, just usually a good excuse to have week long "hurricane parties" in college.  Then yesterday I had my first earthquake experience and it was in DC!!  Of all places, DC?!  I thought I was safe here?!?!  I was sitting at my desk at work and I thought I was just getting dizzy and about to pass out then I hear my co-workers yell out "EARTHQUAKE!!!"  It was the most surreal feeling I have ever experienced.  No one knew what to do.  Natuarally I just stood inside my doorway, I thought that's what you are supposed to do in an earthquake, no?  Then everyone was running towards the stairs, so I followed. (probably not the smartest thing to do when the building is shaking).  Everyone was trying to get through to love ones but the phone lines were busy.  Luckily I was able to get through to my fiancé via text.  Never in a million years would I have ever thought I would be in an earthquake in DC, let alone a 5.9 magnitude earthquake.  After about 25 minutes of standing outside we all decided to go upstairs and grab our laptops and go work from home.  I went and picked up my fiancé from his work in DC.  When we got home to our apartment the "aftermath" of the earthquake was the picture above.  Hopefully I won't have to experience another earthquake in my lifetime, but if I do, I will know what to do!


And this weekend my  fiancé and I are headed to the Hamptons for his cousin's wedding where hurricane Irene might be headed.  Cross your fingers it changes it's path!

1 comment: