Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Day Date!

My fiancé and I were supposed to head out to Shelter Island this past weekend for his cousin's wedding, but due to Hurricane Irene, we decided it would be best to stay in town.  Since we had already planned on taking Friday off from work for the wedding, we decided to head into D.C. and do some touristy things.  Number one on our agenda was an exhibit at the National Geographic Museum that my fiancé was dying to see, The Etruscans.  We had a great time looking at all the old tombs, jewelry, eating utensils and many other items from this ancient Italian civilization.  It's pretty amazing to think that these things were used in their day to day life. 


Next, was something I've been wanting to visit for quite some time, the United States Botanic Garden.  All the flowers and trees were so beautiful, I couldn't help but have a smile on my face when I was looking around.  The rose garden smelt phenomenal.  You should really stop and smell the roses every once in awhile. ;-).  I could have spent the whole afternoon there! 








Our last stop was to visit The Capitoline Venus at the National Gallery of Art.  It is a sculpture that is on loan from the Capitoline Museum in Rome.  It was a very pretty sculpture which looked to be in remarkable condition.  It's on display until September 5, 2011.



We wanted to stop by and see the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial, unfortunately, there was no parking and it was awfully crowded.  That is on the top of our list for our next D.C. adventure.

It was such a wonderful day with my better half.  I sometimes forgot that we live in such a wonderful city, so much is at our fingertips!  

No comments:

Post a Comment