Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Is Chivalry Dead?

So I got into the elevator tonight with boxes in both of my hands and there is just one gentleman in the elevator.  He could see I had my hands full yet he did not offer to ask what floor I was going to so he could push the button for me.  Maybe I was in the wrong thinking he should have asked?  Maybe I was in the wrong and I should have asked for him to push the button?  So when I got home, I thought to myself, is chivalry dead?  I was brought up in a house where you ALWAYS said please and thank you, where you ALWAYS personally write a thank you note for a gift you've received, where you ALWAYS hold the door for your elder, where you are ALWAYS just gosh darn polite!!  I understand that women want to be treated equally and boy am I a firm believer in that, but I still think it's nice when a guy holds the door open for a woman, when he lets her get off the elevator first.  I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  Luckily, I'm about to marry a guy who ALWAYS holds the door open for me, who walks on the side closest to the street, who ALWAYS lets me exit the elevator first.  Maybe it's just me.  Maybe it's just the way I was brought up.  But whatever it is, I appreciate chivalry and I sure hope it's not dying.

No comments:

Post a Comment