Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Birthday Surprise in Charleston

Waiting to board our flight to Charleston!
Thursday night, Dave and I flew into Charleston to surprise my dad for his birthday.  My mom told my dad she was going to the movies with friends while in reality she was hanging out at her friends' house until she picked us up from the airport.  When we got to my parents' house, she went into the house through the garage and Dave and I stood at the front doorsteps.  She told my dad she had a present for him at the front door and once he opened it and saw us standing there, he was in total shock!  It was so fun to surprise him and he really had no idea!

Out-of-this-world shrimp and grits from Hominy Grill!


Happy Dave

Big Nasty
Friday we all went into downtown Charleston for a nice Southern meal at Hominy Grill.  If you ever visit Charleston I highly recommend this restaurant. It has been featured on several shows on Food Network and has become one of our favorite places to go when we visit.  Usually I order the fried green tomato sandwich but I decided to try the shrimp and grits since shrimp and grits is one of my favorite meals!  Let me tell you, their shrimp and grits were out of this world!  The grits were creamy, the shrimp were cooked to perfection and the flavor was out of this world.  I will be definitely have this dish again because it is probably one of the best shrimp and grits I have ever had!  Dave had his usual, the Big Nasty, which was featured on Man VS Food.  It's a fried chicken biscuit topped with sausage gravy and cheddar cheese.  My mom had the fried green tomato sandwich (a favorite of mine) and my dad had the vegetable plate which included macaroni and cheese that he said was outstanding.  All and all it was a delicious meal with the best company!

Happy! :)

Yabba dabba doo at Husk
After lunch my dad and Dave decided to check out the Charleston Museum, which ended up being a total bust, while my mom and I shopped on King Street.  Later that afternoon we all met up for a drink at Husk.  I had been wanting to try this drink, Yabba Dabba Doo, which they no longer have on their menu, but the bartender was nice enough to make it for me. It tasted just like an orange creamsicle!  We were supposed to go on a sunset cruise but due to the weather they had to cancel and we had a wonderful dinner at Fleet Landing, overlooking the water.  We saw tons of dolphins jumping during our dinner which was such a wonderful sight to see.  It was a fun-filled day with tons of great food!

My amazing parents at dinner!
Our view at dinner!

Saturday we had a relaxing day at the beach and my dad grilled us a wonderful dinner:  steaks for my mom and Dave (not seafood lovers) and swordfish for dad and myself.  Dinner was amazing and it was a relaxing night.

Winnie being cute!

Sunday my dad and Dave went to visit The Hunley and had a great time. My mom and I went out shopping AGAIN :).  Later that night we went to one of my parents' favorite pizza places for dinner.  It was such a fun last night in Charleston.

"grits are good for you" - had to get this at Hominy Grill!

 This past weekend was absolutely perfect.  I don't know what it is about going to my parents' house, but I just feel so relaxed there and always have the best time but I'm always so sad when I have to leave.  Luckily my parents will be staying at our place next Thursday before we drive up to New Jersey for my cousin Lauren's wedding weekend on Friday. 

1 comment: